This village was set up on the transit road between Karaliaucius (Konighsberg) and Klaipeda. The settlement was called Sandberg, which in German means sand hill. It was mentioned for the first time in 1429. Travellers, postmen, dispatch riders and militaries were staying there waiting for the ferry during storms and ice floating, which took days or even weeks. There was an inn, which provided rooms to stay. As the flow of travellers grew, the importance of this pplace grew also. In the 16th century it was renamed Sandkrug (sand inn). By this name it was known until 1945.
The Swedish cavalry burned the inn down in 1629. It was rebuilt in 1696 by the order of the Curonian commandant. The new building suffered from the Russian occupation between 1757 and 1763. The new owner rebuilt the inn again in 1764, but soon it was threatened by sand. It was moved to the new place in 1782 and 11786 but sand continued attacking and almost buried it in 1800. The innkeeper Drake moved it one more time in 1804. Fire destroyed the inn in 1837. The plot was changing owners until 1862, when Klaipeda City bought it together wwith Sandkrug and its vicinity.
The recreational development of Smiltyne started in 1900, when a guesthouse (kurhauz) was built. Open-air cafes and pavilions were established next to it. Wealthy Klaipeda citizens built their cottages. State clerks and business people with their families were staying there. On dunes near the sea was a large restaurant that had traditional folk design. It operated until World War II.
From 1903 until 1945 Smiltyne was administrated as a part of Kopgalis district. Many cottages were deserted after the war. Foresters’ and seaport workers’ families moved into others. At present Smiltyne remains as a part of the Klaipeda City. About 100 residents live there today.
Kopgalis (former Suderspitze)
Kopgalis settlement appeared in 1795, next to the ballast-reloading site. BBallast was needed for empty sailing ships to keep stability in a stormy sea. The local government put much effort into keeping permanent dwellers there in order to take care of hydrotechnical equipment (breakwater, bunes and loading grounds), necessary to improve ballast reloading work and to fight the sand invasion. The warder’s hut was mentioned in 1805. Rigorous living conditions scared people and nobody stayed for a longer time. The first permanent residents in Kopgalis settled just after the Prussian ggovernment provided them with many privileges. Seven huts stood there in 1821. Those who lived there worked at the ballast reload, strengthened and turfed shores, fishing and growing potatoes. Most of them came from the suburb of Klaipeda called Bomelsvite. New dwellers kept their relationships with this part of Klaipeda until 1944. Kopgalis was devastated by the storm in 1829, when the raised ...
No other country- not even China or India had such a long history as Ancient Egypt. For nearly, 3,000 years before the birth of Jesus, the Egyptians had already a high developed civilizatio...·
is European supranational organisation dedicated to increasing economic integration and strengthening co-operation among its member states. was established on November 1, 1993, when the Tr...·
Drug Dependence, psychological and sometimes physical state characterized by a compulsion to take a drug in order to experience its psychological effects. Psychological dependence, or habitua...·
General characteristics Lithuanian religion belongs to the Baltic religions and through many links is related to Prussian and Lettish ones and, along with the old religions of the Northern...·
I recommend you a very sad book about the young girl’s experiences in her hard life. It’s „Tess of the d_Urbervilles. This book is first published in 1891 and it is still one of the...·